The U.S.A.(United States of America) is composed of 50 states and commonly called the United States (U.S.) or popularly known as America. It holds the title of the third largest country in the world and also listed itself as the third-most populous nation. Washington, D.C. is the capital of the country. America is divided into North and South America. North America is bordered by Canada in the north while Mexico in the south. The nation is scattered about the Pacific Ocean & the Caribbean Sea. The United States has nine standard time zones that include the Atlantic Standard Timezone, the Eastern Standard Time (EST) zone, the Central Standard Time (CST) zone, the Mountain Standard Time (MST) zone, the Pacific Standard Time (PST) zone, the Alaska Standard Time (AKST) zone, the Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time (HST) zone, the Samoa Standard time zone, and the Chamorro Standard Time zone. In the contiguous U.S., from east to west, EST, CST, MST and PST time zones are accepted. Whereas in states beyond the contiguous United States; AKST and HAST (HST) are adapted. The rest three time zones functions outside the states. It possesses an extreme diversity in its geography, climate, wildlife of the nation and food.
The U.S. is a founding member of World Bank, IMF (International Monetary Fund), OAS (Organization of American States), UN (the United Nations), and other international organizations.It is the superpower of the world and tops the list of developed nations with its largest economy by nominal GDP and 2nd largest economy by PPP. It has the fastest growing economy. The USA holds 33.4 percent of the world’s total wealth. America is the topmost military power on the earth, making up a 3rd of global military spending. It also leads the world politically, culturally and scientifically.
It is one of the best destinations for tourism and education. The U.S. provides such a diverse collection of attractions. Almost every major city has a great art museum, monuments, awesome zoos/aquariums, theme parks, and historical sites.
WHY STUDY IN THE USA
The United States of America (USA) is the most exclusive study destination on the Earth. Many of the top institutions of the world reside in the country and it tempts ahuge number of foreign students. It has more than 4000 world-class universities providing a top-notch education. It is the source of globe’s topmost developments in the field of business, art, and technology.
Reasons to Study in the U.S.:
- Top-Notch Quality Education and Unique Curriculum-The U.S. education is recognized everywhere in the world and considered to be the best. The reason behind it; is that 30 out of top 100 universities are situated in America. And the second reason is that here students are taught in liberal arts which means students have to do focus not only on a particular subject but on other subjects like sciences and maths, history, philosophy, and literature.The advantage of this liberal art is to make you more thoughtful, smarter and more successful person. It makes you that capable that you can start your own business or anything else that you find interesting. It offers unlimited possibilities upon your graduation.
- Remarkable Diversity –You will find a significant diversity in your classroom as you can interact with different age groups, and meet people practicing different religions. It offers a stimulating and a great learning environment that encourages cross-cultural understanding with networking possibilities. Most of the classes here generally don’t contain more than 20 students. Thus professors can take their time to know his students and support them in their learning even outside the classroom. You can boost your confidence by participating in many clubs and organizations and also uplift your social life. This would definitely help you get more career opportunities and permits you to interact with students holding similar short of interest and tastes that you have.
Overall it is the most happening destination to find a mix of cultures. Taste varied cuisines; thrill yourself with different world-class music festivals and international sports activities. Also, learn more about fantastic art galleries and museums.
- Increase Career Opportunities – Many students are allowed to get a job on campus up to 20 hours a week. You can find many employees dedicated towards students helping them secure good internships. Most of the universities provide a plenty of extra-curricular activities where you get real-world job experience. It includes writing for school/college newspaper, joining the debate, and participating in science fairs, and much more. Their basic idea behind it is to give you practical knowledge and experience to hone what you learn in your classroom. It is certainly invaluable while interviewing for a job.
Almost every institution has a placement department staffed with high professionals helping students by teaching them job interview skills, updating CV, and helps them get a job.
- Great Flexibility: All thanks to the sheer size of the country and a great number of universities/ institutions, you can get whatever matches your need. One can choose sprawling campuses that look like cities or small, intimate campuses that offers you a collection of close friends. In the United States of America (USA), there is certainly something for everybody and every kind of learner.
- English Lover? Go ahead then: the English language is the primary language spoken in America and most of the courses are taught in the same language. You can also learn English if you don’t know and enhance your skills. You can attend mentoring programs where you can practice English language training.
- Supports International students: Because the US has been welcoming millions of international students from various countries so they understand the requirement of them. They support international students and let them create a network for them to make them feel welcome.
- Amazing innovation and Research: America is at the top of the list of scientific and creative innovation. A plenty of research institutions can be found in the US. They also offer opportunities for students to learn and work there besides their study.
The US is one of the world’s leading international destinations for study. It has been consistently dominating the global ranking.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) situated in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It chiefly known for physical sciences and engineering but now getting popular in other subject areas as well such ashumanities, and social sciences.
- Stanford University
It ranks second in the world ranking. It overtakes Harvard University. It is situated in the famous Silicon Valley. This university tops in its business courses for creating successful entrepreneurs.
- Harvard University
It is one of the oldest universities in the United States. It has achieved a top position in life science and medicine arena.
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
Caltech is situated in Pasadena, California. It holds a good reputation in scientific and technical subjects.
- University of Chicago
It ranks 5th in the US. The Chicago University is affiliated with approximately 89 Nobel Prize winners. Talking about its physics department; it is well reputed for developing the globe’s first man-made self-sustaining nuclear reaction.
- Princeton University
- Yale University
- Cornell University
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Pennsylvania
The remaining20 top universities in the US are:
- Columbia University
- University of Michigan
- Duke University
- Northwestern University
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of California, San Diego
- New York University
- Brown University
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
The living and tuition costs vary depending on the aspects of university/college, course, and city. On an average, if we talk about tuition then it is usually between $5,000 and $50,000 per year. Food and living costs are typically between $8000 and $12,000 per year. Furthermore, you would need to pay for transportation, personal expenses, and course literature apart from the living and tuition fee.
You may find the expenses costly and daunting too. But not to worry; you get a number of support systems in the country to get financial aid. Millions of students receive funding from their institution or college in form of loans or grants. Loans must be paid back with interest; however, grants are gifts of money which you don’t need to pay back. Though sometimes grants often have some condition such as maintain a certain grade point to get the money.
Several students can get a scholarship based on their academic merit, civic performance, and athletic talent. Here is a number scholarship programs that cover your tuition fee in the US:
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program: It allows graduates, artists from the world and young professionals to study and conduct research in their field.
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program: offers 10 months of academic study (non-degree) and associatedspecialized experiences.
- The Tortuga Study Abroad Scholarship: it’s awarded twice a year to ardent students who desire to study abroad.
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program: for talented PG students from chosen developing nations who have no other means of backing their studies.
International students can visit the official website of the university and apply for the scholarship and grants they need.
Following are the 3 accommodation options for students in the USA.
On-campus Accommodation: You will live on the school’s/college’s campus in a student room or apartment though it can be very expensive to you. But there is an advantage of it that you can meet and know students very fast. This option is certainly good for your first year to experience the campus life and meet other students. You also get meals added to this option.
Off-campus accommodation: You live in a private/shared apartment that is outside of your campus. Here you will need to pay a lower price than on-campus. Getting information about it is easy through the international office at the university. It’s also good for your temporary stay upon arriving.
Host family accommodation: This alternative is provided by a few universities only and it is also more expensive than living off campus. But there is one plus point that you get the extra support from a family. You can also ingrain in American culture quickly.
With F1 visa, an international student is allowed to work on campus for 20 hours a week or upto 40 hours during the summer/holiday. A question might hit your head thathow much you can earn a part-time job on-campus. Well typically on an on-campus job, you are paid a minimum wage ranging from dollar 7.25 to dollar 15 per hour (depending on your state/city). Once you receive a certain number of school credits that made you apply for F1-CPT, can permit you to work off-campus for an internship (part-time for 20 hours and full time for 40 hours a week) and on higher paying rates.
If you are on scholarship then you would be allowed to work for 20 hours on campus only.
Note: You are permitted to work on-campus only and if you do it off-campus than it is illegal. If a student wants to work off-campus then he/she needs to be eligible for Economic Hardship for which one has to apply and offer documentation that shows your personal financial situation. After getting verified the US government can permit to work anywhere off-campus for a certain period of time.